Saturday, February 1, 2014

Growing like crazy

Hey Mr. Caleb, way to go on gaining a few more ounces!! You were 5 pounds 11 ounces yesterday and are are up to 5 pounds 13 ounces today. Last night when dad and I were going to bed dad got up and said, "I'm going to the hospital to spend the night with Caleb." So at 10:30 last night he left to the hospital. He only got a few hours of sleep in a chair next to your crib but I know it was time well spent. 

When he came home this morning he said that your oxygen was up to 80 percent and I have to admit that I had a good cry. I prayed for you and for all of us to be strengthened. At 11:00 dad called and the nurse said that you were at 56 percent oxygen after a change in the way the ventilator gives you breaths. You were taking 2 short breaths before one big long breath from the ventilator so they decreased the amount of time between the big breaths so you didn't have to take small ones. I jumped for joy. I knew it's not a guarantee but was just so excited to see a change the other way. By afternoon you were at 65 percent, but that is lots better than 80. 


I think the last few ounces you've gained have gone straight to your chin and it's pretty impressive. Your checks are so great. I seriously can't wait until I can kiss them for the first time. 


A few times a week I take home your dirty clothes and blankets to wash. This surprise was waiting for me tonight. Atta boy, buddy. 


On the way home from the hospital we stopped at Carter's and bought you a few things. I can't wait to get you dressed tomorrow. A friend brought a darling valentine outfit for you tonight that will be so cute, I mean handsome. When I talk to you by your crib I always say. "Hi beautiful," and then correct myself and say. "I mean hi handsome." :) I should watch what I say better or I might offend your dad, or you! 

I love to touch your head when I come visit. I just rest my hand on your head and love that I can actually bring your oxygen saturation up by doing it. It's like you know it's me and that you are responding to being touched and loved. I can't even express how much I love you. How much your daddy loves you. And your sisters, oh they love you like crazy. Plus your aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and all our friends. You are one loved little boy.  

I'll see you tomorrow. 
Xoxo
Mom 
P.S. Just called the NICU and the nurse said you weigh 6 pounds!!!! 

1 comment: