Monday, February 3, 2014

A first

Well baby boy, I was able to kiss your cheek for the very first time today. The nurses were changing the tape around your ET tube and I mentioned how badly I wanted to kiss your cheeks. So before they put the new tape on they told me to come kiss you. At first I froze, nervous I had germs and might get you sick but the nurses quickly told me to just kiss you! So I did. And I totally teared up. Kissing your babies cheek is something that is so natural and normal but in over 50 days of your life today was the first time I was able to kiss yours. I loved it. 

During the re taping you were super upset and your heart rate dropped a ton. The monitors were beeping like crazy. My heart skipped some beats but you eventually calmed down thank goodness. 

The nurse got back your blood count this morning and they were low. The doctor ordered blood for you to help your hemoglobin levels. Hemoglobin carries the oxygen in your blood so getting more might help your ability to oxygenate a bit. While you are receiving blood they have to stop your feelings but after about 6 hours you'll get milk again slowly. It takes about a day and a half to get up to eating where you were. You had another does of LASIK the Sunday night. Even with a rough morning your oxygen was in the 50's which was so great!!

The nurses asked me if I wanted to hold you but after you getting the IV, being retaped, starting blood, and more I was super hesitant. But the nurses said to go ahead. So I held you. I was able to kiss your head. And just love on you. And as if it wasn't wonderful enough, your oxygen was 44 while I was holding you. It hasn't been in the 40's for several weeks. The nurses took some pictures so I could send them to dad. 




When he walked in the NICU during his lunch break he had a big smile. You stayed in the 50's for most of the day and were 60 when we called at bedtime. You're probably super tired. Sleep tight sweet boy.  Today was a great day. I'll see you tomorrow. 
Sure love you sweetheart. 
Xoxo
Mom

3 comments:

  1. Love the updates. And love love love that you were able to kiss his cheek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! And you are one lucky mama! That boy has the best cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for progress and for kisses! I'm so excited that you got to kiss his cheeks. Must say, I was pretty jealous when I saw that Cindy got to meet that little guy! I'm glad she's there for you. I can't imagine a more understanding friend :)!

    ReplyDelete