Sunday, December 22, 2013

Good to the Core.

Since I am the official blog updater I assume I can post whatever I want to... ;)

I was wide awake at 4:00 in the morning. It was 32 hours after Caleb was born. 20 hours after I got the call that they didn't know if he would live. I was praying and agonizing. I thought so much about Leah and Zeb... about who they are.

Leah and I are 21 months apart. She is my little sister but all of my life I have looked up to her. Turned to her for strength and comfort. We shared a room growing up. I can see it in my mind. We had bunk beds and since I was oldest, naturally I had the top bunk. For years the bottom bed was empty. I was scared at night, every night. Scared of the dark, burglars, storms. Leah slept with me every. single. night. Not only did she sleep with me, she kept one arm around me AND slept on the edge. If someone broke in they would have to go through Leah before they got to me.

I had to share this little gem of Leah and me. It was taken the summer of 1981. It is clear where  Julia and Caleb get their darling cheeks from!



When Leah was in college she was in a terrible car accident with our Mom and little sister, Stephanie. They were on the freeway and hydroplaned into a diesel, bounced off the diesel back through three lanes of traffic and hit into another that stopped them from going onto the other side of the freeway. Leah was sitting where the impact was greatest. She was life flighted to the hospital and headed straight into surgery. As they were transferring her out of the helicopter she stopped them and asked if she could thank the pilot. That is who Leah is.

Zeb is one of a kind. I will never forget this act of service and love.... I was pregnant with my first baby 13 years ago. I was 36 weeks along and they were testing the protein in my urine to check for toxemia. I had to save ever single drop I could for 24 hours. It was such a pain. I was stressed out and emotional. I was finally done with the test and had to drive the container to the hospital. As I rounded a corner the container tipped over and the lid popped off... my precious sample soaked the carpet of my grey Honda civic. I burst into tears. Leah and Zeb were engaged at the time. I don't remember how he found out, but Zeb took my car to his parents house and cleaned the carpet. My soon to be brother in law cleaned over 32 ounces of my urine out of my car before my husband was even off work. Bless you, Zebbie. Bless you!

I love you both so much! I have been so amazed at your strength, faith and hope for these last 12 weeks. You have both strengthened me throughout this roller coaster of a pregnancy and NICU stay. You are not alone. I told Leah during one of our many phone calls while she was in the hospital that when I came home I left part of my heart with her in Texas. Her reply...."Better come get it!" I can't wait until I can! I love you, Leah Lou.

xoxo
Ang





2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! It is precious to have a sister. Continuing to pray for you guys and so thrilled to hear Caleb is doing well. Keep fighting little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Cindy's comment. Beautiful.
    I don't think Leah will ever know the impact she has had in my life as well as the lives of my family. Because of her example, I am a better person. A better wife. A better mother. I love you Leah. We all do. And wish we could be there to help lift yours and Zeb's load. We are continually praying for sweet Caleb and his family.
    All our love,
    Carol and crew

    ReplyDelete