Monday, October 21, 2013

Weekend Setback

Saturday night I set up to have someone come babysit so Zeb and I could have a date night. Even though we couldnt go anywhere we wanted to spend time together just the two of us. Just as he was picking up the babysitter my fluid started leaking again. We had an ultrasound which showed AFI at 11 but I kept leaking. We arranged for someone to stay with the girls so Zeb could be with me. The bishop came by and he and Zeb gave me a blessing. It always gives me strength when I receive blessing. I am so grateful for the priesthood. I leaked all through the night. By Sunday morning I had almost stopped leaking completely. They happened to come for the ultrasound while Zeb ran to church to teach a lesson. So Zeb was there when  I found out my AFI was 3.7. To be honest, I was really surprised it was that low and so was Zeb. I just didn't think I leaked as much as I did 2 weeks ago, let alone more. Zeb came right over when he got the text from me about my levels. When he got here he was hoping it was a typo. I was grateful to hold his hand and have him here. 

In the afternoon the young men from our church came over and brought us the sacrament. As they blessed the sacrament the spirit was strong. It was one of the most spiritual times I have ever taken the sacrament. I could feel the words of the prayer and the promises the Savior gives. If we keep His commandments and always remember Him we WiLL have his spirit to be with us. The closeness I felt to my Savior was a very neat and strengthening experience for me. 

We had lots of visitors, texts and calls. We are so grateful for all the love, prayers, and support. We are thankful for each and every one of you. 

My AFI this morning is at 4.9. It took quite a while to find pockets of fluid that didn't have the umbilical cord in them. And although they were small, I did have a few. We will continue to take each day as it comes and find strength in The Lord. He knows us and what we are going through. He is strengthening me more than I can even express. 

Dr. Gillean came in this morning and we had a long chat. She is such a great Doctor. At this point her thinking is that the 2 layers of the membrane (in the amniotic sac) shift. With the tear through the entire membrane she thinks that one of the layers shifts closing the tear more. Then for whatever reason, maybe baby moving or high level of fluid etc, the membrane shifts and the door opens more or even completely. Because of this situation it will be up and down a lot and we just wait it out. We are hopeful the fluid will build back up because it did the first time. No signs of infection and no contractions.

At this point if I were to go into labor my situation is different than others. If I were just having preterm labor they would most likely give me some drugs to stop labor. But typically if you go into labor when you have PROM (premature rupture of membranes) it's linked to an infection from me or the baby. So it usually does more harm than good to aggressively stop contractions in my situation.

We are two weeks away from viability, or the age in which this little guy could have a chance to survive. I will still be transferred when I reach 24 weeks to a hospital with a NICU and hope to stay pregnant as long as possible. At that time they can give me a steroid shot to help his lungs develop faster which typically will help him do better once he is born. We need more time. It feels so close I can almost touch it, but yet I can't. Caleb's heart rate is in the 140's and he now weighs 1 pound. He still moves quite a bit. They put me back on IV fluids to help try and build up my AFI. We are doing all we can and like I said, we will just take things one day at a time.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and love.
We will get though this.

Xoxo
Leah 

5 comments:

  1. I don't even know what to say other than that I love you and am so in awe of your strength through this unimaginably stressful time. We are with you from a distance and have a constant prayer in our minds and hearts that you and Caleb will be strong and healthy. The Lord is with you and has been involved in this from the very beginning. He knows what will fulfill his eternal purpose and will lead you through this. I adore you all. Hang in there. I'm thrilled the levels are building again - he'll have swimming room in no time. Xoxo. Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. leah I want you to know that our family is praying for you, the baby, and your family at every prayer we say....morning, meal time, personal, and evening and every time I do I feel a spirit of peace so strong. Your ward family loves you and there are so many prayers being sent up in your and the babies behalf. We love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no!!! I'm glad things seem to have calmed down and fluid is rebuilding! We are thinking of you and praying for you!! Let me know if you need anything!!!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you more than I can say. So proud of you. Your faith makes mine stronger. You can do this!!! You are amazing.... your attitude, faith and heart amaze me. But then, you've always been that way! Remember when you wanted to thank the helicopter piolt after they life flighted you in college?? That's my lil sis! Love you. xoxoxoxo Praying ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are documenting this. I wish had documented more through my pregnancies.
    I am praying for you. Pregnacy is difficult enough but I love your positive attitude as you go through this experience.

    ReplyDelete