Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Favorite Things

Disclaimer: After spending 3 and a half hours typing this post which got deleted I learned a valuable lesson. Save as you go. Well, here goes again.

I love the text I got from Zeb a few days ago, "Somehow Julia got out of the house today with high heels on." She sported a yellow and black plaid collared shirt, a brown skirt with white swirls, and high heel shoes that are five sizes too big. Oh how I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in her classroom that day. Oh how I love that girl.

One of the first days the girls came to see me Julia had to go to the bathroom. She must have seen the pink bedpan in the bathroom and mentioned something to Audrey about me using it. Later on I told the girls that I go to the bathroom in a bedpan. Julia responded (as she threw out her hand and cocked her head to the side) by saying, "I called it," just as Audrey said, "Julia guessed it." They thought it was the funniest thing ever that I go to the bathroom in a pan. They got a great laugh.

One of my favorite things about Zeb is his sense of humor. The first few days I was here my bed was flat to minimize the leaking. No incline makes feeding yourself a bit tricky so Zeb got the honors. He couldn't just feed me. No, he had to do sounds and airplanes. Or shove another bite in before the other one was gone, giving me chipmunk ckeeks. Having a husband that makes wise cracks and jokes all the time doesn't mesh well with a wife that is leaking amniotic fluid each time she laughs. And honestly it's like he thinks of the funniest thighs to say in intense situations so I was begging him to stop. He tried his hardest to bite his tongue but gosh he's funny. Having him here the first week was such a blessing. A favorite memory for sure. 

One of my favotie things about Claire is how she takes care of her sisters. The first night I was in the hospital Kelly stayed at our house with the girls. In the morning she could hear Hallie crying. She told me she found Hallie in Claire's bed where Claire was comforting her and her sisters. Oh how I love her. I love the relationship they have with each other and hold it close to my heart. It's so hard for me not to be with them.  But I am so glad they have each other, not to mention all of the stand in moms that my wonderful friends are for them. Thank you all so much.

While my mom was here we chatted up a storm. At one point she said, "I have to go to the bathroom." My response was, "Okay, I'll just wait here." My mom got the biggest kick out of it which made me laugh too. I could hear her laughing while she was in the bathroom. Favorite memory right there.

Hallie was so exited to show me the new pair of skinny jeans that Sydney Wilson gave her. She showed me the bling on all the pockets and just walked around the hospital room with a grin on her face. The best part was when we would hear a pop and Hallie would lift up her shirt to show us the unbuttoned button. If she pushed out her tummy it would pop right open. We got a great laugh throughout the visit as the pop of the jeans would continue. But a weak button was not about to prevent Hallie from wearing her cute skinny jeans with bling. Of course she wore them to school today and I have a feeling they will be her favorite pair of jeans this school year. Oh how I love her.

Amanda told me this next story while she was here. One night when she was with the girls she told them all kinds of stories. She told them one about my dad. When he was on his mission in Florida his companion was in the bathroom when a huge rat came up out of the toilet. The girls screamed and the story lingered a little longer for Audrey. At dinner she left to go to the bathroom and came back too fast. Claire knew she wasn't gone long enough and said, "Audrey you're afraid of the rat aren't you?" So Audrey says, " I really have to go to the bathroom by I'm afraid a rat might come out so will you come with me?" Amanda waited outside the bathroom and when they came back in the kitchen Amanda remembered something she had forgotten to tell her daughter. When Amanda remembered she said, "oh rats!" (Ironically this is a phrase my sister uses often.) To which Audrey replied, "Could you please use another word, it reminds me of the rat." Amanda got the biggest kick out of it and when she told me I was pretty much rolling. Sweet Audrey. Oh how I love her. 

My kids' teachers are pretty much my favorite. Every one of them. They have been so sweet about our situation and have told us that our family is in their prayers. Hallie's teacher sent me a message the other day about how Hallie came to her and wanted to talk about me going to the other hospital. Hallie started crying and her teacher just hugged her with tears in her eyes too. She said how much she loves Hallie and will give as many hugs as she needs. They have all been just wonderful and I am so grateful to know they are cared for and loved when they are at school. 

Every night before bedtime I do favorite things with my girls. Julia always wants to go last. Audrey and Hallie can never pick just one thing, it's usually at least 3. I told them that while I'm in the hospital my favorite thing about every day will always be seeing them (with Zeb, of course) and listening to Caleb's heart beat. If you haven't done favorite things with your kids I recommend it. Not matter what there is something in your day that is good. Some days there are more than others, but there is always something. Each day is a gift. Each day is a blessing. 

Here are some of my favorite recent pictures of the girls. I love it when people send me pictures of what they're up to. 






3 comments:

  1. Just so you know. I am reading your blog everyday! I am grateful for the updates because it helps me check on my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all the stories. I can see Julia now is her heels.. you know she thought she was IT all. day. long. I love each of your girls and I am excited to come have my turn and time with them! So proud of you and your positive attitude and so happy things are going so well. Love and pray for you everyday. I'll have to throw out the word rats for Audrey to see what she does! Caire is such a good big sister and heavens that Hallie! Mark my words... she will be voted best dressed in high school! Love them all. Such a pain to re-post but oh, so worth it! Loved it. Another day down. Love you! Love you too, Caleb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love this post! I love getting photos of my kids when I am not with them. It makes it easier.

    ReplyDelete