Monday, January 6, 2014

A hard night...


Sunday night text:
Between five and six Caleb had what is called a Bradycardia episode. It's when his heart rate drops under 90 which causes his oxygen saturation levels to drop. Because of this his oxygen is now at 80 percent. This Brady episode is often caused when the baby forgets to breathe.

Monday afternoon text:
After needing 80 percent oxygen last night and this morning we are glad that Caleb is down to 60 now. They ran blood work and tests and they are negative for RSV and the flu. He continues to get breathing treatments every 6 hours that have albuterol and pulmicort (steroid) to help his lungs. 




Leah also asked that I mention how grateful they are for the continued prayers and faith. After a scary night, he is doing better today.

After talking to Amanda (our older sister who is a NICU nurse) I learned a few things. Bradycardia episodes are common for preemies. What is not common is that Caleb's oxygen settings stayed so high overnight. Typically after half an hour or an hour, the baby is able to recover and stabilize. The reason they started the testing and were so concerned was because his numbers didn't improve for such a long period of time after his initial episode. 

These are some of my favorite pictures of Mr. Caleb. I also have to mention that Leah and Zeb have handled this difficult journey with faith and grace. It was in September that she first started bleeding with her water breaking two weeks later. I can't count how many up and downs there have been in the last 4 months. One things I have learned through out this process is that they weren't kidding we were told it would be a "roller coaster."  Until I had a front row seat, I had no idea how hard it really was to have a mirco preemie. I have a new respect for any family that has had their own NICU journey. 

We are stronger as a family because of Caleb. I see Leah and Zeb holding fast to each other and to the Lord. That is what has gotten them through this. I have always loved Leah... it is not hard! We have always been close. Watching her go through this pregnancy and the last 25 days with Caleb has been beyond heart wrenching BUT I also love her and respect her deeper than I ever have before. Thank you for letting me share my heart on here... not that you had any choice! :)  

I love you Fish family. More than you know.
Another day down. 
xoxo
Auntie Ang

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Angie! Thank you for this. Always in our prayers. Leah is an incredible, strong and beautiful woman. XO. - Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures and I love him! I can't wait until I get to meet him. He's so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete