Friday, March 13, 2015

Lexie's Nursery

Your sister's nursery is finally done. I am so excited with the way it turned out. It is the first time I have ever decorated a room in the house from beginning to end. I usually buy a comforter here, picture there. Paint this room, buy decor for that one. When I was pregnant with your other 4 sisters we were either in undergrad, law school or just graduated so I have never done a nursery before. I was waiting to do your vintage superhero nursery until we had a date when you'd be coming home from the NICU. 

When Dad asked me what I wanted for our Anniversary and Christmas I immediately said, "A nursery!" So I shopped for the last 4 months and had such a great time! The girls loved helping too. I knew I wanted shabby chic and here's how it turned out.


I found the sign, "All of God's Grace in One Tiny Face," at Hobby Lobby and that's where the planning started. I love the saying not only because of your sister's middle name being Grace but also because I feel as though I am reminded of God's grace when I look at each of my beautiful children. 


We had newborn pictures of Alexis this week and I canNOT wait to get them back and put them in these picture frames. I found the various colors of frames at Burke's Outlet and painted the black cursive "A" from hobby lobby mustard.


Gram and Angie wanted to make Lexie's quilt so I knew I needed to get creative with making the crib look girly without having coordinating bumper pads and sheets. I found a pin on pinterest where they tied bows to the crib and fell in love. It really dressed up the soft white bumper pad (white minky dot from amazon) and made the crib look so dainty and girly. I love the way it turned out and I even sewed the bows myself. I'm quite excited about that. :) (For anyone wondering It takes half a yard per bow.)




I found this Monarch Antique White rocking chair on amazon and fell in love. Too bad it took 3 tries to get one that wasn't defective. The first 2 times it came with cracks but luckily the third time really was the charm. I love the look of the wooden rocking chair. I found the cream/off white throw and pillow at Home Goods. LOVE that store.


Here is the amazing quilt!!!! I love it for a bazillion reasons but one of the top 2 reasons is because 3 of the fabrics were in the quilt that Auntie Angie made for you. We keep your quilt in our room with us every night. I love that you and your sister's quilts are somewhat alike and that they were made with so much love. Gram and Auntie Angie worked very hard on this beautiful quilt and I couldn't love it more. The other top reason I love the quilt is because Angie was on a hunt for the perfect blue and coral floral pattern that would bring the other colors together. After a million trips to fabric stores and tons of searching online she found the fabric in....Manchester, England!!! Not even kidding. The floral pattern we found was no longer available (it was a few years old) and Angie found 1 yard for sale from someone in England. It's the fabric third from the bottom. I adore it and it really does make the quilt come together perfectly!!!!


The lamp was another Home Goods find. So were the bird cage and ornate frame that hold Lexie's bows. I found the shelf at a thrift store and stained it to match the distressed changing table. I love displaying not only the bows but all her little shoes. 


Gram totally surprised me with this darling mini quilt!!! Little did she know before she made it that I was hoping to find or make a little mat for the table. I adore the pinwheel pattern and think it looks perfect on the side table. I love it and I love her. 


A sweet friend made this tutu for the diaper genie and I just think it's the perfect touch. I love that it makes something as plain as a diaper holder look girly and pretty. LOVE.


Here is the wall opposite the crib with the changing table Daddy made. I seriously love it. I found the plans here and he was willing to make it! He built it and I painted it, sanded it, and distressed it. He did a great job and I love that he made it. When she is older we will take the top frame off (that the changing pad fits in) and she can still use it.


I found the baskets for the changing table at world market
 Found the two shabby off white rugs at Home Goods. Yup. Still love that store.


Another sweet friend knew I was looking for an ornate mirror and saw this one at a thrift store for $16 that was gold. She snatched it for me, bought it, and texted me. I was so glad she bought it. It was a steal. I spray painted it white and love the way it turned out.


I knew when I was planning the nursery that I wanted a chandelier. The problem is they can get REALLY expensive. I found one at home depot for $100 bucks and was hesitant. I texted a picture to my sisters and Stephanie replied to the text with the same exact chandelier but with 4 lights instead of 6 for almost half the price at Joss & Main. I was all over it and order it right away. Score.


I love all the books that Alexis got at the shower (people brought books instead of cards which was so fun) and I really wanted to display them. I had seen these bookshelves that were made out of vinyl rain gutters on pinterest and asked Dad if he'd give it a shot. Of course Dad did a fabulous job installing them and I love how the books look in the shelves. I found the hamper at Home Goods that Lexie's blankets and stuffed animals are in.


Another sweet friend made the name for Alexis to use at the shower and did each letter to match the nursery decor. I knew the name HAD to go on top of the bookshelves when she told me I could keep it!! I seriously LOVE the nursery. I love that I had lots of friends and family members in on the decorating and giving advice. I had so much fun I would love to do interior decorating for a living. :)

So there you have it, buddy. Your little sisters nursery. Make sure to keep checking in on us. Maybe a little more than normal since my hormones are crazy. I sure miss you, son. More than you could possibly know. But my love for you is what is really immeasurable. 

xoxo
Mom





1 comment:

  1. The nursery is wonderful. It feels light and airy, so girly, and visually exciting. I honestly feel energized every time I walk in, and changing Lexie on that table is so fun. She is beyond precious. What a great job, Leah! I am so grateful for the love that has has been showered on you and your babies, and your family. I can feel that love in Lexie's nursery. Gram

    ReplyDelete