Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Lexie's Birth Story

All weekend I was having lots of contractions. Since dad and I both felt like a VBAC was not something we felt comfortable doing, each time I had contractions that were starting to get consistent I would do all I could go get them to go away. Baths, drinking water, changing positions etc. Early Monday morning starting around 3 I woke up with contractions and tried all the different things to get them to go away. They were about 10 minutes apart and they wouldn't go away.,Around 7 I called Dr. Gillean and asked her what she thought we should do. She said she wasn't sure if I was in labor but to go ahead and come in to the hospital and that we might have alexis earlier than planned. 

We got to the hospital around 9 and the contractions were 8-12 minutes apart. We were hoping Claire could be in the OR during the c section so she came with us and waited patiently. 
The nurse checked my cervix and I hadn't dilated any. I started to worry she might send me home. But I was still having contractions and some of them hurt pretty good so at 12:20 Dr Gillean walked in and said, "let's have a baby today." She went to talk to the OR to get the answer once and for all if Claire could be there or not...
And they said yes!!!! She was so excited! 

Her and daddy waited in the labor and delivery room while I went to the OR and got prepped for surgery. Once the spinal was in and I was stable they let Claire and daddy in. I was much more calm than I thought I would be and felt such strength. So grateful for that tender mercy.

At 1:21pm your baby sister came into the world SCREAMING! Everyone kept saying how loud and sassy she was and she just kept screaming. It was the most beautiful sound and I just sobbed and sobbed. 

Oh she is just so perfect. 

I just couldn't help but cry over and over. It was so beautiful. Claire and daddy were teary and I wish we could have frozen that moment in time. There together welcoming alexis into the world. And knowing she came straight from heaven and that you had kept her company until it was her time to come into this world was so special. 


Oh my love and joy are immeasurable. 

I love this picture with alexis, dads hand, claires hand, and mine. It's a favorite for sure. 

Watching daddy hold her gets me every time. His twinkle and joy is tangible. 

Goodness she is precious. 

Claire looked so cute in her mask and scrubs. They only had XL so she had to tie them off so they didn't fall off! 

During the c section Dr Gillean said that the cord was presenting. That means that the umbilical cord was right over the cervix not Lexie's head (dad wonders if that prevented me from dilating). So if my water would have broken or I would have tried for a VBAC the cord would have fallen out first which is called a prolapsed cord and requires an emergency c section. So incredibly grateful we came in and that things went so smoothly. So grateful to have your baby sister here safe and sound. So grateful for sooooo many things.,
I asked Claire what she thought about being there and she said it was the best day ever. So happy I not only got to hold Dad's hand during the c section but sweet Claire's as well. 

Since we didn't get an answer as to whether or not we would do the c section Monday until 12:20 we hadn't told anyone yet. After the go ahead I was in the OR within minutes and the section itself was less than an hour! Once we were in recovery we sent messages to our families and then started letting people know. It was nice to be able to just show pictures of sweet Alexis and say she and I were healthy than to have people on pins and needles trying not to worry and stress. Cause let's be honest, people have worried and stressed a lot in regards to our family this past year and a half. 

Well baby boy, that's the story or your baby sister's birth. I can't believe you're a big brother. I can't believe we have another baby. It's surreal but so special. She is one lucky girl to have her big brother watching over her. We are all so blessed to have our very own angel watching us from above. We love you, Caleb. More than you'll ever know. More than there are sands in the sea and stars in the sky. To heaven and back. 

Xoxo
Mom 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful experience and beautiful baby! Alexis Grace is one loved little bundle, and I just can't get enough pictures of her. I especially love the ones of Claire in scrubs! What a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete