Sunday, October 5, 2014

Something to Look to

Well my sweet boy, your sister has a name as of today. The girls have been begging and insisting to decide on a name. Daddy, Claire and Hallie all came up with a name (seperately which is really special) that they love. And Audrey, Julia, and I love it too. 

I have been really into the meaning of names this time around. The meaning is a big deal to me in light of the things that we have endured this past year. So when I looked up the meaning it fit so well. So here it is...

Alexis Grace 

We picked Grace first. Your sisters suggested the name and it's always been a favorite of mine. But when I was reading a book, given to me by a dear friend, about grieving the loss of a child there was a section on grace. As I read the words of the author Fran Haden, "While the Savior's mercy is 'the spirit of compassion, tenderness, and forgiveness' grace is the 'divine means of help or strength, given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ...made possible by his atoning sacrifice," I was overcome with feelings of tenderness and felt a connection to my Savior and for your baby sister. 

Alexis means helper/defender. Your sister will be one that helps all of us remember the grace only the Savior can bring. Your dad has always loved the name Alexis and I think it's beautiful. It makes my heart happy that daddy picked her name along with your sisters. 

Yesterday and today I have been blessed to feel the nudges and summersaults of your baby sister over and over during conference. It makes me smile and feel happiness in my heart. 

As today is the date that my water broke with you and the hospital stay began (between the two of us it was over 9 months) I want today to hold meaning in a new way too. It is through the help and grace of our Savior that we have endured this past year. Without Him I would be lost. We would all be lost and unable to return to our heavenly father's presence. So today as we remember the day that changed the course of what we had planned for your life, it marks the happiness and gratitude I feel for my savior and the hope His grace brings to be together as a family again. And so is the name of your baby sister, Alexis Grace. 

All my love,
Mom

5 comments:

  1. I love that name! It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts, beautiful name...Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE her name! I have loved the name Grace for a while now, and Alexis has lots of classic appeal and elegance. I love how Alexis sounds with Fish, and I think Grace works great for a middle name. I am a big fan of names, and Alexis Grace is a winner. The meanings are so special, too. I'm so glad you got to feel her doing summersaults this weekend, and I know the timing meant a lot to you. Did I mention that her name goes beautifully with your other kids' names? Good job Zeb and family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's absolutely perfect. Can't wait to meet you Alexis Grace.

    ReplyDelete