Sunday, October 12, 2014

10 Months Ago

10 months ago my life changed forever when you came into the world, Caleb Luke. Here are some things I love about you.

I LOVE that you were born with a full head of hair. My favorite was when Nurse Adrianne started doing it spiked. Years ago when I thought of having a son, spikey hair was top on my list for how I pictured him to be. I love your dark brown spikey hair. 

I love your eyes. I love the depth I saw when I looked into them. Dark brown with beautiful long eyelashes. There were days I could see your soul when I stared into them and what a beautiful spirit you have, sweet boy. 

I love that even though you were born so very tiny that you chunked up and had rolls of fat, lots of chins, a dimple in your knee and rubber band wrists. Oh and your cheeks. So chubby and kissable. 

I love love love your dimples. I remember seeing both of them for the first time the day you smiled at me for the first time. Oh my goodness your smile melted my heart and still does. 

I love how excited you started getting when we would come visit. Your happiness and excitement was so pure and those memories I will cherish forever. 

I love that you have your daddy's long toes. I love that you look like your daddy. Your distinct eyebrows sure take after your daddy too. And your long dark eyelashes...your dads. 

You have touched so many hearts and lives in your short time on earth and I couldn't be more proud and honored to be your mother. 

Some of my favorite memories with you (I'm so grateful to have these and more). 

1. When your sisters met you for the first time.
2. Watching you drink from a bottle for the first and only time.
3. Seeing your entire face for the first time when you were 4 months old. Oh my goodness you are beautiful. 
4. Sleeping with you in my arms the night before you slipped back to heaven. 
5. Singing songs to you each time I got to be with you while holding your hand by your bedside. 
6. Holding you for the very first time when you were over 20 days old. 
7. When your sisters got to hold you their very first time when you were 5 months old. 
8. The first time you smiled at me. My cheeks were burning because I was grinning for so long. 
9. When you started sticking your tongue out. It was so funny and adorable.  
10. Reading and singing to you when I was pregnant and in the hospital night after night. 

Here are some things you should know...
Claire sleeps with the picture of her holding you next to her. She sure loves you. I often find dozens of used tissues next to her bed. 

Julia draws pictures of you constantly and they melt my heart. She prays you'll make friends in heaven like Atticus and prays you'll be friends with "lots of babies." 

Audrey and Hallie are overcome with their feelings for you out of the blue. They sure miss you and pray that you'll know we love you. 

Our family is strengthened and comforted and can feel the savior helping us especially during intense and difficult moments and days. You are so very loved and so very missed. Each memory is forever cherished. I am in awe at the tender mercies and many miracles we have witnessed in the last year. 

I love you, son. Happy 10 month birthday, mister mister. 

Xoxo
Mom


1 comment:

  1. What a special and loved boy Caleb is. I marvel at what a deep impression he has left on so many, and how he really did show us who he is in such a short time. I was telling Stephanie the other day that having him for seven months created such a bond with you and Zeb and the girls that it makes it much harder to be without him. She said that you wouldn't have it any other way, and that knowing him will make his influence on his sisters much stronger, that he really will be a force for good in their lives. I know that that's true, and I am so thankful that we do know him, and that he is part of our family forever. The memories I have of him are printed on my heart. We are a stronger family because of him. Love, Gram

    ReplyDelete