Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Sacrifice of Veterans

I want to honor those family members that have served our country. I am so grateful to them for their sacrifices. I have a much deeper level of love and gratitude for them since Caleb passed away. I have been working on a program for our church this evening and I hope it comes together. It makes me happy to do something to honor those that have sacrificed so much for our freedoms and liberty.


This is Zeb's brother Abe. He is a captain in the army and is a flight surgeon. He trained with special forces to become a green beret. Hearing his stories during that training are pretty crazy. He is one tough guy in every sense of the word. Mentally, physically and spiritually. I look up to him a lot and am honored to be his sister in law. Thank you, Abe, and your sweet family for the sacrifices you all have made and still make on our behalf.


This is Zeb's Grandpa Ralph Andrus. He served in the Army (in the pacific during WWII) for five years and then came home and married Zeb's sweet Grandma.

This is my Grandpa Donald James Glotzbach. To us he was Grandpa Don. He served in the Navy and I am so grateful to him for his service. He is with Caleb in heaven now and I like to think of them as friends.

This plaque hangs on the wall in my parents house to remember and honor him.

His brother, Charles Glotzbach was studying at Notre Dame Law school when he went off to war. His submarine was never found and he was killed in action at age 25. My heart hurts that my Grandpa lost his brother.

This is my Great Grandfather (George John Glotzbach), My Grandpa Don's father, with his mother (Eva Black) bidding him goodbye as he went off to war. He came back from war but was killed when he was 30, when my grandpa was only 3. He was having car problems and pulled over on the side of the road. Someone stopped to help but judged the distance poorly and struck him. My heart just aches thinking that my grandpa lost his dad and brother. That his mother lost her husband and son. I am grateful to know they are all together now. Although time on earth as we wait to be reunited can feel like forever, I'm glad it isn't forever.

This is my Mother's Grandfather, Milton Stott Rowland. Her mother's Father. I found his draft registration card on family search when I clicked on this to find ancestors in the military. 

Last weekend we went to Arkansas to support and comfort my Aunt. Her sweet husband, my Uncle Jim, passed away. She was a support when Caleb passed away so we really wanted to be there. Hallie was at 5th grade camp but the rest of us set out late Thursday evening to be there for the funeral. The drive was pretty eventful. At one point we had to drive out of the way to outrun a tornado that had touched down and was heading in the direction we had needed to go. It's not like we could see it or anything but it was nerve wracking when the emergency beeping took over the stereo in the car and we were told to take shelter immediately. I said lots of prayers. Then about an hour or two later a huge buck decided to cross the highway when we were traveling at 70 miles per hour. Zeb had to slam on the brakes and the deer was so close we could see the muscles flexing as it jumped and ran across. The girls all busted up laughing but I wasn't laughing. Holy moly. So grateful we arrived safely. 

When we went to the cemetery the army was there to honor Jim. He served in the Air Force. It was pretty amazing watching them salute, aim and fire their rifles (Lexie bursted into tears when they fired). It was such a reverent and special thing to witness. I love that it was so close to Veterans Day. 


I cried pretty hard when they dedicated Jim's grave. So many memories and difficult experiences. During the prayer Claire came beside me and just put her arms around me and hugged me. She is so sweet and I love her tender heart. I love that each of my girls notice when I need an extra hug or need comfort. They have pretty amazing radar for when I need them. Goodness I love them. They folded the flag that was on his casket and presented it to my sweet Aunt Elen. 

I am so grateful we got to be there for her. She is amazing and so is Jim. The funeral was beautiful. I am grateful for his service as well. 

I am thankful to all these wonderful men and their service to our country for our freedom and liberty. Grateful to know you and honored to be family. 
God bless you.
Leah 

1 comment:

  1. How awesome to see pictures of men in our family who gave so much for us, and who did it so willingly. It makes me very proud of them, and of our wonderful country. This makes their service seem very close, and very real. Thank you for honoring them.

    ReplyDelete